Art, Twitter and the Miocene Epoch: the BGS through the eyes of a newbie.. by Grace Davis

If you’ve tweeted the BGS this week, there’s a decent chance it was me who replied to you!  As of Monday I’ve been helping to monitor our social media accounts and I’ve really been enjoying keeping up with your questions, comments and thoughts. From sharing geology-themed school projects to wanting to know more about updates on our website, people have spoken to us from all over the world. It’s great to see how people engage with us and the work we’re doing, and we are keen to keep the conversation flowing, so if you’ve got anything to share with us then please do get in touch.

Guests at the Impossible Views exhibition
I’m Grace and I’m a new starter at the BGS, you may have read my first weekly blog post last Friday – if not, check it out here. I’m happy to report that the end of week two leaves me feeling like I’ve really begun to get stuck in.


Perhaps the biggest undertaking this week has been getting started on what will be one of my main projects here: the communications work for ODA. What’s ODA, you ask? It stands for Official Development Assistance and encapsulates the BGS’s overseas work. This is a large and complex area, and we’re really looking forward to sharing more about it with you as it develops, so watch this space!


Tuesday night saw the unveiling of the Impossible Views exhibition, a great opportunity for people to visit our site, take in the art and speak with the people who created it. I attended and, along with assisting with hosting guests, made a rather ham-fisted job of helping to serve drinks (corkscrews are not my forte). It was also lovely to have the chance to meet some more of the BGS staff and their partners at the event.

Speaking of events, I was also able to go to another lunchtime lecture where I learnt about the Brassington Formation, a Miocene deposit in the Peak District. I was fascinated to hear that such deposits (from the Miocene epoch which occurred 23 to 5 million years ago) are extremely rare onshore in the UK. This particular area was only preserved by chance due to the collapse of the soluble limestone/dolomite below it, allowing it to fall into cavities and remain protected until mining and brickmaking activities began in the area.
A large pebble and some of the 'mummified' wood that can be found at the Formation

As you might be able to tell, I was pretty excited to pick up this new piece of geology knowledge and I’ve been eagerly sharing it ever since. And as five o’clock rolls around this Friday afternoon, I can only imagine I’ll be telling it throughout the weekend too so if you know me, be prepared…



Comments